Permission Numbers

What is a permission number?

Permission numbers are special “codes” departments or class instructors may choose to issue so you can enroll in the class that the system may be preventing you from enrolling in on your own.

Why do I need a permission number?

Permission numbers are needed to do the following:

  • add a class during the last 4 days of the add/drop period, check the Student Planning Calendar for specific dates
  • override the prerequisite(s) of a course
  • enroll in a full class with or without a waitlist
  • enroll in a class without enrolling into its component (e.g., lab, activity, corequisite etc.)

How do I get a permission number?

The process to obtain permission varies by the department that offers the course.  If you are trying to get a permission number for a course offered outside the College of Engineering, we recommend contacting the instructor and/or department offering the course (use the Cal Poly directory or search their website to find contact information).   

Below are the preferred contacts for the departments in the College of Engineering.  When reaching out about a permission number, be clear in what you are looking for and include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Cal Poly Email
  • Empl ID
  • The reason you are requesting a permission number
  • Preferred Course
  • Preferred Section Number (location in Schedule Builder)

How do I use a permission number?

If you receive a permission number, you will want to follow the steps outlined in the "Add a Class- with Permission Number demo" on to officially enroll in the course.


Department Who to contact  Contact information
Aerospace Engineering (AERO) Kendra Bubert, Administrative Coordinator
Biomedical Engineering (BMED) Instructor of Course
Civil and Environmental Engineering (CE and ENVE)

If a permission number is needed to waive prerequisites, visit:

For any other reason, email:
Computer Engineering (CPE)

For CSC Courses- Leanne Fiorentino

For EE Courses (and CPE 133, 233)- Yvonne Lynch

For CPE Courses (200, 400, 461, 462)- Donna Aiken or (805)756-2825 or (805)756-1229

Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSC and SE) Leanne Fiorentino, Administrative Coordinator or (805)756-2825
Electrical Engineering (EE)


For EE Courses (and CPE 133, 233) please contact Yvonne Lynch.  In your email to Yvonne please include why you are requesting a permission number, the course number, and section number.
General Engineering (ENGR) Instructor of Course
Industrial Manufacturing Engineering (IME)

Complete the IME Permission Number Request form for all courses (except the ones with exceptions below*). Once completed, the request will be sent to the IME Office (Stephanie Allen) through Microsoft Power Apps for review.

  • If the IME office (Stephanie Allen) can issue the permission #, you will receive an email from Microsoft Power Apps with the Subject Titled: Permission #.
  • If the instructor needs to review the request for a permission #, the instructor will receive an email regarding your request .  Once the instructor has made a decision, the student will receive an email from MIcrosoft Power Apps with the decision.

You should receive an answer of an approval or denial within 72 hours in placing your request.


*To request a permission # for IME 470/471 (Rob Carter) & IME 570/571 (Liz (Schlemer) Thompson), contact the instructor of record by email. Do not use the Request for Permission Form.

IME Permission Number FAQs

Materials Engineering (MATE) Instructor of course first.  If unable to make contact or you have questions about this process, contact Trevor Harding and/or Cassi Goldsmith
Mechanical Engineering (ME)

Prerequisite Course Waiver Form (via Adobe Sign). This form is required for all students who want to take a mechanical engineering course (ME prefix), but either the registration system does not recognize a prerequisite or the student is missing the prerequisite but has relevant knowledge that will allow them to succeed in the course they want to take.


Note that mechanical engineering students who are requesting a waiver of a prerequisite for a required mechanical engineering course are not likely to be approved. Please make sure to apply for the waiver to the lecture instructor with the section number you want to add, not your lab.


For permission number requests outside of the reasons above, please contact the Instructor of the Course

Related Content

Multicultural Engineering Program


International Exchange Program - Study Abroad


Tutoring - Writing and Learning Center


Quick Links

Academic Probation
Block Scheduling
Office of the Registrar