Double Majors

The College of Engineering does not encourage or recommend double majors. It is extremely rare that a double major request will be approved. Eligible students are encouraged to pursue a master's program (upon completion of their undergraduate coursework) or a 4 + 1 program.

Students requesting to double major must provide a letter outlining why they want to pursue a double major rather than a BMS or MS degree. In addition, they must present a compelling case outlining how they can graduate in a timely manner (no more than 15 quarters if they entered Cal Poly as a freshman or 9 quarters if they entered Cal Poly as an upper-division transfer student) upon the completion of both degrees. Students requesting double majors must have very high grade point averages and be willing to carry very high quarterly unit loads. Requests should be turned into the College of Engineering Advising Center for review. Requests should include name, EMPL ID number, major, and cell/local phone number. Students will be notified by e-mail of the outcome of their request.

Note: Due to the impaction of the majors, requests to add CSC or SE, will not be approved.

There are certain majors within the College of Engineering that are never approved as double majors:

  • CPE and SE 
  • CSC and CPE 
  • CSC and SE 
  • EE and CPE 
  • GENE and AERO or BMED or CE or CPE or CSC or EE or ENVE or IE or MATE or ME or MFGE or SE 
  • IE and MFGE 
  • CE and ENVE

In addition, the B.A. in Liberal Arts and Engineering Studies (LAES) is not an approved double major for any major within the College of Engineering.